Skip to main content

DIY Mug Stencil

I wanted to do a follow-up of my previous post to show you how easy it is to use the same process on a mug.

I had these great plain mugs I got for 99 cents at a local discount store and I decided they needed to say something cheeky.

Boring Originals 

So I went ahead and created a stencil using 631.  This is an example where removable vinyl or stencil material is a MUST...if you use 651 you're going to cry because the vinyl is not going to want to come off everywhere and you're just going to end up frustrated...so make sure you understand your materials before creating the stencil.  

Now let's talk paint, you can use oil based sharpies on your stencil, but I already had this glass and ceramic paint available (and my sharpies are all mysteriously missing).  Keep in mind you CANNOT use just any paint as it will not stick to your mug.  This paint is made exclusively for glass and ceramics.  Then, once you're done painting you must FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.  If it says cure before you bake....please do so or your paint is going to come off and your beautiful creation will literally go down the sink.  

Once you have your paint you will use the same technique as before, I used another foam pouncer brush, dipped in paint, then dapped on a paper towel.  This dry technique will keep your paint from gooping everywhere.  YOU DO NOT WANT GOOPING IF YOU'RE TRYING TO STENCIL SOMETHING!  

Because you are using a LIGHT touch, it will probably take a few layers, especially on a dark colored mug like mine.  Once you have your desired number of coats its time to follow the directions for curing.

Painted and ready to cure.

In my case the item needs to cure for 24 hours before being baked at 300 degrees for 35 minutes.  So bake your item as directed.

Time to Bake.

I went ahead and turned the oven off and let them cool while they were in the oven as well.  You don't need to, I just do this because my dog likes to lay in front of the oven so its hard to pull out hot things without dropping them.  

And then you have a finished product!


Ta-Da!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Wood Stencil Sign

I purchased these cute blank signs from Target--here's what the original item looked like. Then I created a stencil using 631-this is removable vinyl.  I chose removable vinyl mostly because I had ordered a large number of a color I didn't intend to use again and had extra, also it works great for things like ceramics where you're worried 651 permanent vinyl won't remove easily.  The key for me was USE TRANSFER TAPE.  In the past a majority of my bleeding has been from the centers of the letters because I was individually placing them by hand and they weren't sealing properly.  Transfer tape not only removes me individually placing letter centers, but it also gives you a better seal.  Just take an old credit card and burnish your transfer tape FOREVER.  

I mean, burnish until you think there can't possibly be any bubbles under that piece of vinyl...and then do it some more!  Then peel up your transfer tape...and voila!


This is the paint I decided to use.  It'…

Odd Pets

Every once in a while I click the "Marketplace" application on my Facebook page (in case someone is giving away a free bed that I could use).  Upon doing so yesterday I saw a pet Wallaby for sale for $1,200.  
I want one.  
However, the question is...can I have one?  Are wallabys...or is it wallabies...or maybe walleye...no that's definitely not it...you know what I mean...but are they legal in this state?
Well let's start with what we know is legal: cats and dogs (unless your landlord says no then you'll be out on the street), most lizards, but those are basic pets.  Here's a little snippet into the unusual (and expensive) pets.  
World's most expensive pets: 
Green Monkey: $16 million Missy: $1.2 million Capuchin Monkey: $10,000 That's right.  I said LEGAL!  There are neither bans nor requirements on monkey ownership in Ohio so go for it!  Buy your monkey!
Need a less feminine monkey?  Try these guys!
De Brazza's Monkey: $7,000-$10,000

Squirrel Monkey: $…

Gen Y Gives Thanks

I apologize a thousand times for the lack of updates and for putting this up so late. Large amounts of technical difficulties have inhibited my blogging, email checking, social networking, etc. However, now that I have a moment's internet access I would like to give you the link to this brilliant idea that Sharalyn Hartwell has cooked up. She writes for the Gen Y Examiner and to combat the stereotype that Gen Y is a bunch of ungrateful brats she asked members of Gen Y to write what they're grateful for and has been posting them in series.

Here's the link. She's posted a few each day so keep reading these articles of course I'm partial to mine which can be read here.