15 November 2015

Vinyl Adventures

As I may have mentioned previously I have wanted to put in more time with my Silhouette Cameo machine.  So I decided to try my hand at some vinyl on a mug I found at my local Dollar Tree.  Below you will see my Silhouette machine cutting my design.  
Silhouette Cameo cutting vinyl
My Silhouette at work

So once the vinyl is cut I had the wonderful task of weeding, the term the crafting community uses for grabbing all the unwanted vinyl pieces from the design.  I bought a back of tweezers at the Dollar Tree to use just for this purchase, since the weeding tool Silhouette sells is about $13. And here are the results.   

Cricut vinyl
Weeding Complete

And then all I did was pick it up with some transfer tape and moved it onto the mug. 

Using transfer tape
Getting transferred

However, I made the mistake of not cleaning the cup with alcohol before I put the vinyl on so it sort of slid around on the cups some making the smaller letters all wonky.  I also wasn't super pleased with this type of vinyl as it didn't seem to stick as well as I expected.  But I consider this a test run, so we're learning. 

Silhouette vinyl mug
The finished product

The finished product is a test to see how well vinyl sticks to plastic and how permanent it is. I brought it over to my Mom to try out in her dishwasher.  I want to see if they should be handwash only or if they can be put in the dishwasher (vinyl is supposed to be water safe but most crafters say not to use the dishwasher).  

If this one is a success we shall make many many more!

04 November 2015

DIY Onesies for the tiniest humans

So this has been something I'd been wanting to try ever since I saw all these tutorials on Pinterest about how to use freezer paper as a cheap and easy stencil.  

Well the first problem was finding freezer paper, all I had was wax paper, which doesn't really work because the point is to iron the waxy part to the shirt...NOT get waxy build-up all over your iron...but the only thing they had at Wal-Mart was a HUGE roll of it...so I'm pretty prepared for awhile.  

I used simple designs and cut them using my Silhouette onto the freezer paper (waxy side down onto cutting mat).  

Silhouette cut Freezer paper stencil
Yes, I know my mat is upside down, but a bad setting cut through the top half. 

As you can see, it did a pretty good number on some of the letters, I was going to do another design, but it was so ripped up I couldn't even use it as a stencil.  So just be aware that you want a pretty big, forgivable design, no skinny cutesy fonts here.  

DIY stencil
Blurry picture of an ancient iron

All you have to do after that is iron the sheet (again waxy/shiny side down) to the fabric.  Make sure you do this on a surface that is approved for ironing...I was doing it on an old table, and some of the table's red paint finish ended up on the back of one of my test onesies.  

Finally, I just used a sponge brush from the Dollar Store to pounce the paint onto the fabric.  I used paint designed for fabric so I didn't have to worry about washing it and then peeled the stencil.  

Painted onesie
Before removing the stencil

I would actually recommend taking the paper off while the paint is still a little wet (but not immediately after you stop painting) because I found it hard to get all the little pieces in between the letters back off of the onesie once it was 100% dry. 

DIY painted onesie
Finished Product 

And now all you need is a tiny human to wear it!

21 October 2015

Memorial Shadowbox-Silhouette Project Take 1

I have been trying to think of things to do with my Silhouette Machine for quite awhile now, I had made t-shirts for Megan and I to go to the Price is Right but since then I have done NOTHING!

Strangely enough during my family's unfortunate circumstances I was surprised to find this woman on a Silhouette Facebook group I follow have the same thing happen to her, and she posted this tile she had made with a beautiful sentiment on it.  She kindly provided me the Silhouette cut file and I was able to adjust it to fit what I thought would be best.

About a month ago I had found a shadowbox at the thrift store that was exactly what I had been looking for, larger than the 12x12 but not huge.  I brought it to the counter and she informed me that there was a whole SET of shadowboxes for the (cheap!) price of $5.99.  $6 and 8 shadowboxes later, I was on my way home.  The largest of the set that had first caught my eye I used to put some photographs with a t-shirt from my late cousin.  But there had been two slightly smaller 8x10 boxes that I had yet to find a use for.  These are what I used for my project.

I then adjusted the design she had so kindly sent to me to look like this.  Her original version included the deceased birth and death dates and a cool graphic of a feather that the birds took off from (there wasn't room on mine for that).

Your Wings Were Ready Quote
My edited design. 

I then put my Silhouette machine to work, cutting two copies of the file.  I cut them in reverse so that the vinyl could go on the INSIDE of the shadowboxes.  I then removed the excess vinyl material and used transfer tape (basically contact paper) to pick up the design and then restick it to the inside of my shadowbox.  Picking it up with the transfer tape allowed me to move all of the letters and birds at once so I didn't have to individually place every letter...the inventor of this was awesome.  And that was basically the whole project. 

Memorial Shadowbox

I added white cardstock to the back of the shadowbox since there wasn't anything there except the back of the frame, and it helped the letters really pop.  I left them empty because I wanted the family to be able to put things in there that were truly meaningful to them, not just a picture I had, but their favorite picture, etc.  

And it was so easy!  Looks like I'm going to have to break that Silhouette out more often!