11 January 2016

Personalized Welcome Mat

Since I have finally given this gift I can share with you what I made!

I was actually really excited about this because I wanted to give them something super useful but I wanted to emphasize how they're a family now. (baby makes 3!)

So I decided on a personalized welcome mat, and of course had the most difficult time finding one that adhered to my specifications that wasn't GINORMOUS.  Seriously, who has a welcome mat 3 times the width of their door? NO ONE! So why do they sell them (I'm looking at you Lowes). 


plain rug
Before

As you can see its a pretty bold color palette, so my choice for color was limited to black.   But I'm hoping some use will fade it and make it a little less garish. 


Then of course I was going to be all clever and stencil it so that it wasn't OBVIOUSLY made by me (I think my handwriting is pretty distinctive and not always in a good way).  But the stencil didn't agree...

useless stencil
Mutilated Stencil

So I free-handed the rest with a sharpie.  

Writing on rug
Free-handed lettering


And filled it in with some outdoor quality paint, to get the finished result. 


completed rug
Finished Product
And sadly I'm STILL not done making Christmas gifts!

No comments: