Skip to main content

OMG Shoes

So this is my first time ever making a "too order" item with vinyl.  While I was visiting her in Canton my bestie, Megan, mentioned that she needed a new coffee mug, and having not found one I was determined to make her one for her birthday gift.  However, since her birthday was the 1st week in December (yesterday actually) and I was seeing her over Thanksgiving...I wanted to make it early so she could actually get to use it ON her birthday.  

So first there were the "requirements" what kind of mug, how big, color options, what its made of etc. 

I had no idea finding a mug to someone's specific specifications was so difficult.  She wanted a to-go mug to take back and forth from the office but she wanted it to be plastic rather than the metal ones that are popular right now.  She preferred no handle but if it had a handle she wanted to make sure she could fit more than one finger in it (if she's thinking like me I'm always worried my chubby fingers will get stuck!).  

So here is the mug we ended up with, I'm a little worried about its quality considering it comes from the Dollar Store...but all the other mugs I saw did not meet our criteria!

Dollar Tree Mug Craft
Mug Pre-purchase

So this post is called "OMG Shoes" because of the theme of our mug...The Wizard of Oz.  Because obviously Dorothy's shoes are the stars of the entire movie! 

So I started by creating a stencil to put red glitter on the mug.  I didn't have any red glitter vinyl so the shoes are going to be 3D glitter.  

Contact paper Stencil
Adding glitter

And then once the excess glitter and stencil is removed...we have shoes!  Which I sealed with some red glitter glue I had on hand...which is basically just mod podge with pre mixed glitter.  


Red shoes
OMG Shoes
And then I started focusing on the letters.  After making my mom's mug I noticed that the smaller letters didn't seem to stay as well as the larger ones...but I think I went a little overboard on this one cause now the message is hard to read!


Dorothy quote
Mug with large letters

So to read the quote you had to turn the mug and I didn't really like that so after giving her the mug I decided I would go ahead and give it a second try with some smaller letters (I'd bought an extra mug just in case something happened and I needed to start over). 

Wizard of Oz mug
Mug with mixed letters

I much prefer this layout and then the shoes are on the other side of the mug.  The only problem is I have some concerns that the smaller letters may decide to jump ship and she will have an uncomplete message after she's washed her mug a few times.  But I guess that's why she has 2 now!

So there you have it...my first "made to order" project!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Wood Stencil Sign

I purchased these cute blank signs from Target--here's what the original item looked like. Then I created a stencil using 631-this is removable vinyl.  I chose removable vinyl mostly because I had ordered a large number of a color I didn't intend to use again and had extra, also it works great for things like ceramics where you're worried 651 permanent vinyl won't remove easily.  The key for me was USE TRANSFER TAPE.  In the past a majority of my bleeding has been from the centers of the letters because I was individually placing them by hand and they weren't sealing properly.  Transfer tape not only removes me individually placing letter centers, but it also gives you a better seal.  Just take an old credit card and burnish your transfer tape FOREVER.  

I mean, burnish until you think there can't possibly be any bubbles under that piece of vinyl...and then do it some more!  Then peel up your transfer tape...and voila!


This is the paint I decided to use.  It'…

Odd Pets

Every once in a while I click the "Marketplace" application on my Facebook page (in case someone is giving away a free bed that I could use).  Upon doing so yesterday I saw a pet Wallaby for sale for $1,200.  
I want one.  
However, the question is...can I have one?  Are wallabys...or is it wallabies...or maybe walleye...no that's definitely not it...you know what I mean...but are they legal in this state?
Well let's start with what we know is legal: cats and dogs (unless your landlord says no then you'll be out on the street), most lizards, but those are basic pets.  Here's a little snippet into the unusual (and expensive) pets.  
World's most expensive pets: 
Green Monkey: $16 million Missy: $1.2 million Capuchin Monkey: $10,000 That's right.  I said LEGAL!  There are neither bans nor requirements on monkey ownership in Ohio so go for it!  Buy your monkey!
Need a less feminine monkey?  Try these guys!
De Brazza's Monkey: $7,000-$10,000

Squirrel Monkey: $…

Gen Y Gives Thanks

I apologize a thousand times for the lack of updates and for putting this up so late. Large amounts of technical difficulties have inhibited my blogging, email checking, social networking, etc. However, now that I have a moment's internet access I would like to give you the link to this brilliant idea that Sharalyn Hartwell has cooked up. She writes for the Gen Y Examiner and to combat the stereotype that Gen Y is a bunch of ungrateful brats she asked members of Gen Y to write what they're grateful for and has been posting them in series.

Here's the link. She's posted a few each day so keep reading these articles of course I'm partial to mine which can be read here.