Skip to main content

DIY Onesies for the tiniest humans

So this has been something I'd been wanting to try ever since I saw all these tutorials on Pinterest about how to use freezer paper as a cheap and easy stencil.  

Well the first problem was finding freezer paper, all I had was wax paper, which doesn't really work because the point is to iron the waxy part to the shirt...NOT get waxy build-up all over your iron...but the only thing they had at Wal-Mart was a HUGE roll of it...so I'm pretty prepared for awhile.  

I used simple designs and cut them using my Silhouette onto the freezer paper (waxy side down onto cutting mat).  

Silhouette cut Freezer paper stencil
Yes, I know my mat is upside down, but a bad setting cut through the top half. 

As you can see, it did a pretty good number on some of the letters, I was going to do another design, but it was so ripped up I couldn't even use it as a stencil.  So just be aware that you want a pretty big, forgivable design, no skinny cutesy fonts here.  

DIY stencil
Blurry picture of an ancient iron

All you have to do after that is iron the sheet (again waxy/shiny side down) to the fabric.  Make sure you do this on a surface that is approved for ironing...I was doing it on an old table, and some of the table's red paint finish ended up on the back of one of my test onesies.  

Finally, I just used a sponge brush from the Dollar Store to pounce the paint onto the fabric.  I used paint designed for fabric so I didn't have to worry about washing it and then peeled the stencil.  

Painted onesie
Before removing the stencil

I would actually recommend taking the paper off while the paint is still a little wet (but not immediately after you stop painting) because I found it hard to get all the little pieces in between the letters back off of the onesie once it was 100% dry. 

DIY painted onesie
Finished Product 

And now all you need is a tiny human to wear it!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Blog: Resume Boost or Liability?

I have recently read two different blogs that have both touched on the same topic. How your blog affects your resume and/or job search. The first was an interview with Sasha Halima, one of my favorite bloggers, at PR Breakfast Club. You can read it here. The second is on Brand Yourself, Your Blog is Your Extended Resume . Brand Yourself argues just what the title says that a blog is an extended resume and that when a potential employer searches for you and finds a blog full of fabulous content, they'll hire you. And while I couldn't agree more that I AGONIZED over the fact that potential employers were most likely Googling me and getting results for some person in Seattle or a Blues Singer in New York the interview with Sasha Halima said something that also struck a chord with me. Your blog can be a "liability." That is the scariest word that any potential employer could ever say because, if you're a liability to them, odds are other potential employers

Shoes

Shoes Shania Twain Tell me about it... Ooh! Men. Have you ever tried to figure them out? Huh, me too, but I ain't got no clue How 'bout you? Men are like shoes Made to confuse Yeah, there's so many of 'em I don't know which ones to choose (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ah, sing it to me If you agree There's the kind made for runnin' The sneakers and the low down heels The kind that will keep you on your toes And every girl knows how that feels (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ouch, ah, sing it with me Chorus: You've got your kickers and your ropers Your everyday loafers, some that you can never find You've got your slippers and your zippers Your grabbers and your grippers Man, don't ya hate that kind? Some you wear in, some you wear out Some you wanna leave behind Sometimes you hate 'em And sometimes you love 'em I guess it all depends on which way you rub 'em But a girl can never have too many of 'em It's amazing what a little polish will do... Men ar

Julie & Julia

Today Megan (my cousin) took me to Julie & Julia (we got in free because she works there). It was a really good movie, which made me happy because I had heard some people hadn't liked it and thought it was a slow movie, but I loved it. If you haven't seen the movie the basic premise is that Julie (Powell, the author of the book the movie is based from) works her way through Julia (Childs, the world renowned cook) cookbook. She gives herself 365 days and there were 540-ish recipes in the cookbook. She then wrote a blog about it, which became really famous, she was offered book deals, etc. But the point of the movie was that she decided to do something, gave herself a deadline, accomplished it, and it changed her life. So, when I came home I was 1. Hungry (I can't watch food and not want to eat...its the reason I can't watch the food network) 2. Inspired...I decided to cook something...experimentally too. I made soup that I used canned chicken noodle soup and s