Skip to main content

Odd Pets

Every once in a while I click the "Marketplace" application on my Facebook page (in case someone is giving away a free bed that I could use).  Upon doing so yesterday I saw a pet Wallaby for sale for $1,200.  

I want one.  

However, the question is...can I have one?  Are wallabys...or is it wallabies...or maybe walleye...no that's definitely not it...you know what I mean...but are they legal in this state?

Well let's start with what we know is legal: cats and dogs (unless your landlord says no then you'll be out on the street), most lizards, but those are basic pets.  Here's a little snippet into the unusual (and expensive) pets.  

World's most expensive pets: 

Green Monkey: $16 million
Legal in Ohio
Missy: $1.2 million
Legal in Ohio
Capuchin Monkey: $10,000
Legal in Ohio
That's right.  I said LEGAL!  There are neither bans nor requirements on monkey ownership in Ohio so go for it!  Buy your monkey!

Need a less feminine monkey?  Try these guys!

De Brazza's Monkey: $7,000-$10,000


Squirrel Monkey: $4,000


So now you're saying "No Way!  I can't afford that!  I'd rather have a cat or dog, they're way cheaper!" I say, "Think again."

Tibetan Mastiff: $582,000

Cavalier King Spaniel: $500,000

Savannah Cat: $10,000

Bengal Cat: $3,000

The price of that Wallaby is looking pretty good now isn't it?  And according to my research, they're legal!  Better find that guy on Facebook before he sells this deal of a pet to someone else!

Special thanks to ForkParty for their article on the 13 Most Expensive Pets in the World, Business Insider for the 10 Most Expensive Pets you can Buy, Weirdly Odd.com, and Decoded Stuff for the facts about other people's pets.  

And if you really want to know about the pet law in Ohio this is what the code says:

"it is illegal for anyone to bring a non-domestic or exotic animal into the state without the proper permits, a health certificate for each animal and a certificate from a veterinarian stating that the animal has been inspected. This law also states that anyone who wishes to possess a non-domestic or exotic animal in the state will not need a permit to do so, only to have them imported into the state."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Blog: Resume Boost or Liability?

I have recently read two different blogs that have both touched on the same topic. How your blog affects your resume and/or job search. The first was an interview with Sasha Halima, one of my favorite bloggers, at PR Breakfast Club. You can read it here. The second is on Brand Yourself, Your Blog is Your Extended Resume . Brand Yourself argues just what the title says that a blog is an extended resume and that when a potential employer searches for you and finds a blog full of fabulous content, they'll hire you. And while I couldn't agree more that I AGONIZED over the fact that potential employers were most likely Googling me and getting results for some person in Seattle or a Blues Singer in New York the interview with Sasha Halima said something that also struck a chord with me. Your blog can be a "liability." That is the scariest word that any potential employer could ever say because, if you're a liability to them, odds are other potential employers

DIY Wood Stencil Sign

I purchased these cute blank signs from Target--here's what the original item looked like.  The original item Then I created a stencil using 631-this is removable vinyl.  I chose removable vinyl mostly because I had ordered a large number of a color I didn't intend to use again and had extra, also it works great for things like ceramics where you're worried 651 permanent vinyl won't remove easily.  The key for me was USE TRANSFER TAPE.  In the past a majority of my bleeding has been from the centers of the letters because I was individually placing them by hand and they weren't sealing properly.  Transfer tape not only removes me individually placing letter centers, but it also gives you a better seal.  Just take an old credit card and burnish your transfer tape FOREVER.   I had to use two layers of transfer tape cause my roll isn't wide enough.  I mean, burnish until you think there can't possibly be any bubbles under that piece of vinyl...and the