Skip to main content

Hobby

My best friend, @OAmadeusAmadeus, requested that I write a blog about my newest hobby, painting wine glasses. 


I don't remember exactly why I decided to start painting wine glasses, probably because I needed an artistic outlet to add to my life at a time when I was working about 60 hours a week and coming home alone in a new town. So I decided to paint, I painted for years when I was young, mild artistic desire and talent inherited from my mother, who is one of the most talented people I know, and something I had stopped doing in the social and academic focus that was my college career.


Once you have decided to paint the steps are fairly simple.  All you need is paint, brushes, and a "canvas."

Finding a canvas is easy, all you need is a wine glass, a drinking glass, a margarita glass, a glass bowl, anything you think is worthy of painting.  I find this very easy because I love garage sales and flea markets so I'm always finding fun glassware pieces on my second-hand adventures. 

Brushes are also easy, paintbrushes can be found pretty much at any store that sells craft supplies.  I happened to already have some at home, but if you don't just run down to your nearest store and grab some. 
And finally the last thing you need is paint.  This was a lot more difficult for me to obtain.  You cannot use any regular paint to paint on glasses, at least not any that you plan to use.  Regular paints such as watercolor or acrylic paints will come off in the washing of the glasses or even during the use of them.  The paint will chip off, peel off, or wash off of glass because glass is not a porous surface therefore you have to find paint that is created directly for this purpose. 

Finding paint took me numerous Google searches for recommendations, trips to cities where craft stores can be found (here in Wilmington we only have a WalMart and they're in the process of slowly removing nearly all their craft supplies), as well as discussions with craft store personnel, and my personal crafting and art experts: my mother and grandmother.  But in the end I finally had a successful trip into a Michael's Craft Store where I was able to find a suitable variety of paint in an assortment of colors.  I use pebeo's Vitrea 160 as it comes in both glossy, matte, and transparent varieties, the colors can be mixed with one another (some specialty paints do not mix together well), and can be applied directly to the glass.  There are a few drawbacks to the Vitrea paint, on the packaging it says "Thin with Vitrea 160 thinner" I assumed this was a simple announcement that it could be done if a thinner consistency was desired however the more and more I use the paint I would say that it is a recommendation.  The more and more I use the paints the thicker and thicker they become and its becomes difficult to put even coats on the glassware.  So I would recommend checking out the types of paint you are planning to use before buying them.  The variety I use cost $3-4 for a 1.5 oz jar so just be ready to put a little investment into this project if you are planning on painting a rainbow on your glassware its going to cost a few dollars. 

A zebra print glass, if you look closely you
can see the lack of smoothness I was talking about. 


And now to the fun part...painting!



I would make sure you have a pretty solid plan in place before you put your brush to the glass because its best to wipe any mistakes off immediately.  This isn't the kind of canvas that you can paint over if you decide you don't like it...so make sure you know what you want. 

For example I'm not sure what I want to do with this glass but it looks a little
unbalanced with just the bow because the top is so large. 

In general I like to do random patterns because of the difficulty of getting things exactly even.  You can use patterns and tape them to the inside of the glass but I like the feel of freehand.  I've only created two different "sets" of glasses.  One of them was the margarita set you see sprinkled throughout the post, but in reality it was a theme with similar images throughout, all the glasses were a little different and an animal print pair for @OAmadeusAmadeus that I can't find any photos of (that's your cue to post some girl!) 

Recipients of my margarita glasses!
Really its just meant to be fun.  I like the eclectic feel of matched but unmatched things and really anyone can do it because you could do something as simple as swirls or blotches on your glasses and you will have created something unique and only yours.  Just remember to get paint that you can BAKE on so that its permanent...you don't want your favorite glasses to be unusable because the design will come off the first time you use them.  My Vitrea paint needs to dry for 24 hours and then is baked for 40 minutes at 325 degrees then you can use them to your heart's content...they're even said to be dishwasher safe!

Enjoy your new hobby!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Blog: Resume Boost or Liability?

I have recently read two different blogs that have both touched on the same topic. How your blog affects your resume and/or job search. The first was an interview with Sasha Halima, one of my favorite bloggers, at PR Breakfast Club. You can read it here. The second is on Brand Yourself, Your Blog is Your Extended Resume . Brand Yourself argues just what the title says that a blog is an extended resume and that when a potential employer searches for you and finds a blog full of fabulous content, they'll hire you. And while I couldn't agree more that I AGONIZED over the fact that potential employers were most likely Googling me and getting results for some person in Seattle or a Blues Singer in New York the interview with Sasha Halima said something that also struck a chord with me. Your blog can be a "liability." That is the scariest word that any potential employer could ever say because, if you're a liability to them, odds are other potential employers

Shoes

Shoes Shania Twain Tell me about it... Ooh! Men. Have you ever tried to figure them out? Huh, me too, but I ain't got no clue How 'bout you? Men are like shoes Made to confuse Yeah, there's so many of 'em I don't know which ones to choose (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ah, sing it to me If you agree There's the kind made for runnin' The sneakers and the low down heels The kind that will keep you on your toes And every girl knows how that feels (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ouch, ah, sing it with me Chorus: You've got your kickers and your ropers Your everyday loafers, some that you can never find You've got your slippers and your zippers Your grabbers and your grippers Man, don't ya hate that kind? Some you wear in, some you wear out Some you wanna leave behind Sometimes you hate 'em And sometimes you love 'em I guess it all depends on which way you rub 'em But a girl can never have too many of 'em It's amazing what a little polish will do... Men ar

Julie & Julia

Today Megan (my cousin) took me to Julie & Julia (we got in free because she works there). It was a really good movie, which made me happy because I had heard some people hadn't liked it and thought it was a slow movie, but I loved it. If you haven't seen the movie the basic premise is that Julie (Powell, the author of the book the movie is based from) works her way through Julia (Childs, the world renowned cook) cookbook. She gives herself 365 days and there were 540-ish recipes in the cookbook. She then wrote a blog about it, which became really famous, she was offered book deals, etc. But the point of the movie was that she decided to do something, gave herself a deadline, accomplished it, and it changed her life. So, when I came home I was 1. Hungry (I can't watch food and not want to eat...its the reason I can't watch the food network) 2. Inspired...I decided to cook something...experimentally too. I made soup that I used canned chicken noodle soup and s