Skip to main content

A Comment on Recovery

"Depression Hurts...Cymbalta can help" I hate those terrible advertisements for anti-depressants that tell me that I will feel better when someone prescribes me some "magic pill" that will make everything ok again.  

I'm recovering from a bout of Depression that has pretty much made me have to start over in the "happiness" department.  Until I started working on this...I couldn't remember what it felt like to be happy.  So here we are...one day at a time.  

I hate being on medication...but I take it.  I'm currently displeased with it because I'm taking 225 mg of something that I didn't feel was helping: I still can't get out of bed in the mornings, I still have a fair bit of apathy about life in general (especially fun), and my eating habits are pretty out-of-whack.  

Well this weekend I discovered that it really works...I spent 2 days of my weekend trying to hide crying fits for no reason.  Nothing serious had happened, I was running late, or someone had decided not to come out with us for a mutual friends birthday, and I would try to hide the tears and go to the bathroom so that no one would see me crumple.  "What's wrong with me?" I would sob to a girlfriend, "Its not even that serious, I just can't help but cry" 
I unpack my things after coming back home (I was in Columbus for the weekend) and there are my pills, untouched in the bag all weekend...I hadn't taken them for 2 straight days...oops.  Well at least I know they work a little bit.  
But in those 2 days of randomly unexplained crying fits of Depression I noticed a few things that I think are worth noting...because really they're HUGE in the grand scheme of things. 

1. I could distract myself and find something to smile about.  
I remember the days when I was so depressed a puppy, a kitty, and a double rainbow couldn't make me feel better.  But a few deep breaths and I could put on a fake smile and eventually find something that gave me a real one.  That's right...I had been crying for no reason...and then I smiled...without medication...there is light at the end of the tunnel.  

2. I relapse like nobody's business.  
When I'm depressed my brain immediately goes back to destructive behaviors that I had when I was in a full-fledged I don't want to live depression.  I want to call the same people, do the same things, and hurt myself (mostly emotionally) in the same ways.  

3. Richard from Texas was right.
I just finished "reading" (it was a book on CD) Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat. Pray. Love.  Where she says 
"A Soul mates' purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, and make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life."   
 Well, Richard from Texas continues on this thought with the fact that a soul mate does this for you...leads you to the point you're supposed to be...and then...they leave.  In Liz Gilbert's case they're talking about the man whom she learned about her Guru from.  In my case, we're talking about the person that proved that I really could love like they do in the movies: passionately, with everything I have, to the point that you're desperate and have to change your life; and in both cases, you can't go back to them.  That chapter of her life, and that chapter of my life are both closed.  


And there it is: acceptance.  I've had to do a lot of that during recovery: accept that its ok for me to be happy, accept that if people don't want to help me be happy then I can't keep them in my life, accept that some things in life can't last forever, and accept and relish in the fact that I AM in recovery.  And that its all been and will be...worth it in the end.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Blog: Resume Boost or Liability?

I have recently read two different blogs that have both touched on the same topic. How your blog affects your resume and/or job search. The first was an interview with Sasha Halima, one of my favorite bloggers, at PR Breakfast Club. You can read it here. The second is on Brand Yourself, Your Blog is Your Extended Resume . Brand Yourself argues just what the title says that a blog is an extended resume and that when a potential employer searches for you and finds a blog full of fabulous content, they'll hire you. And while I couldn't agree more that I AGONIZED over the fact that potential employers were most likely Googling me and getting results for some person in Seattle or a Blues Singer in New York the interview with Sasha Halima said something that also struck a chord with me. Your blog can be a "liability." That is the scariest word that any potential employer could ever say because, if you're a liability to them, odds are other potential employers

Shoes

Shoes Shania Twain Tell me about it... Ooh! Men. Have you ever tried to figure them out? Huh, me too, but I ain't got no clue How 'bout you? Men are like shoes Made to confuse Yeah, there's so many of 'em I don't know which ones to choose (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ah, sing it to me If you agree There's the kind made for runnin' The sneakers and the low down heels The kind that will keep you on your toes And every girl knows how that feels (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ouch, ah, sing it with me Chorus: You've got your kickers and your ropers Your everyday loafers, some that you can never find You've got your slippers and your zippers Your grabbers and your grippers Man, don't ya hate that kind? Some you wear in, some you wear out Some you wanna leave behind Sometimes you hate 'em And sometimes you love 'em I guess it all depends on which way you rub 'em But a girl can never have too many of 'em It's amazing what a little polish will do... Men ar

Julie & Julia

Today Megan (my cousin) took me to Julie & Julia (we got in free because she works there). It was a really good movie, which made me happy because I had heard some people hadn't liked it and thought it was a slow movie, but I loved it. If you haven't seen the movie the basic premise is that Julie (Powell, the author of the book the movie is based from) works her way through Julia (Childs, the world renowned cook) cookbook. She gives herself 365 days and there were 540-ish recipes in the cookbook. She then wrote a blog about it, which became really famous, she was offered book deals, etc. But the point of the movie was that she decided to do something, gave herself a deadline, accomplished it, and it changed her life. So, when I came home I was 1. Hungry (I can't watch food and not want to eat...its the reason I can't watch the food network) 2. Inspired...I decided to cook something...experimentally too. I made soup that I used canned chicken noodle soup and s