Skip to main content

Stop the Stigma

An excerpt from Kathy Cronkite's On The Edge of Darkness.  Kathy Cronkite continues to battle the stigma associated with Depression and speaks on the topic.  You can read her bio with the American Program Bureau here.  This passage is a quote from William Stryon, author of Darkness Visible, struggled with Depression his whole life and I think the excerpt below illustrates my own feelings on Depression and overcoming the shame
                             and stigma associated with it. 

It would lesson my sense of a person's integrity if I learened that he or she had suffered from depression and had hidden it.  I honor or respect whatever presonal reasons they had for that, but I would feel far more respect for people who fully face up to the fact that they have had an illness and tell the world.  I think its a matter of responsibility, because the illness will contyinue to be stigmatized as people try to hide the fact that they've had it.    
Traditionally, people have had fear and repugnance for mental illness, that somehow its spooky.  I read about a poll recently which found that [almost] 50 percent of American people, Mr. and Mrs. Frontporch, believes that there is a moreal incapacity in depression.  On 50 percent, on the other hand, is aware that it is a mental illness to which no moral stigma should be attached.
Granted those figures are probably much different now as this book was published in 1994 but, the idea remains the same.  No one should have to hide the fact that they suffer from a disease.  I know that I have been guilty of doing just that in my own life.  I hid the fact that I had depression and didn't admit it, even to myself, for years.  So part of my mission in sharing this with you is to spread the word that Depression is a disease and that you shouldn't hide it.  We need to show the world that Depression is a disease that may not be curable but is treatable and that no moral stigma should ever be attached to a disease that you truly have no control over.  So go to your library and pick up a copy of Darkness Visible, On The Edge of Darkness or another book about mental health and give it a read.  The more we know, the better we can combat it, so help stop the stigma, educate yourself about mental health. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Wood Stencil Sign

I purchased these cute blank signs from Target--here's what the original item looked like. Then I created a stencil using 631-this is removable vinyl.  I chose removable vinyl mostly because I had ordered a large number of a color I didn't intend to use again and had extra, also it works great for things like ceramics where you're worried 651 permanent vinyl won't remove easily.  The key for me was USE TRANSFER TAPE.  In the past a majority of my bleeding has been from the centers of the letters because I was individually placing them by hand and they weren't sealing properly.  Transfer tape not only removes me individually placing letter centers, but it also gives you a better seal.  Just take an old credit card and burnish your transfer tape FOREVER.  

I mean, burnish until you think there can't possibly be any bubbles under that piece of vinyl...and then do it some more!  Then peel up your transfer tape...and voila!


This is the paint I decided to use.  It'…

Odd Pets

Every once in a while I click the "Marketplace" application on my Facebook page (in case someone is giving away a free bed that I could use).  Upon doing so yesterday I saw a pet Wallaby for sale for $1,200.  
I want one.  
However, the question is...can I have one?  Are wallabys...or is it wallabies...or maybe walleye...no that's definitely not it...you know what I mean...but are they legal in this state?
Well let's start with what we know is legal: cats and dogs (unless your landlord says no then you'll be out on the street), most lizards, but those are basic pets.  Here's a little snippet into the unusual (and expensive) pets.  
World's most expensive pets: 
Green Monkey: $16 million Missy: $1.2 million Capuchin Monkey: $10,000 That's right.  I said LEGAL!  There are neither bans nor requirements on monkey ownership in Ohio so go for it!  Buy your monkey!
Need a less feminine monkey?  Try these guys!
De Brazza's Monkey: $7,000-$10,000

Squirrel Monkey: $…

Gen Y Gives Thanks

I apologize a thousand times for the lack of updates and for putting this up so late. Large amounts of technical difficulties have inhibited my blogging, email checking, social networking, etc. However, now that I have a moment's internet access I would like to give you the link to this brilliant idea that Sharalyn Hartwell has cooked up. She writes for the Gen Y Examiner and to combat the stereotype that Gen Y is a bunch of ungrateful brats she asked members of Gen Y to write what they're grateful for and has been posting them in series.

Here's the link. She's posted a few each day so keep reading these articles of course I'm partial to mine which can be read here.