Skip to main content

New Years Resolutions: The Negative Side



While I know that everyone and their brother probably wrote their New Years Resolution blog weeks ago I've been thinking more and more about mine.  



We did this activity at work where we were supposed to write both personal and professional goals and in the coming weeks we're supposed to work in our 1:1s to make them come together.  


The one that I want to talk about here is this:



"I want to be more positive about my position (as in stop being negative).  I want to feel that I am needed and that my work is valued."
But the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if this is even an attainable goal.  Goals are supposed to be measurable.  And something with the words "feel" and "valued" doesn't really create many measurable guidelines.  


Secondly, what does it mean to "feel needed?"  I know what I meant in this instance because I wrote them 2 days ago when we did this exercise.  However, when we evaluate these things several months from now will my definition of this have changed?


And of course, the most important question of all.  Is it even possible for people to feel positive about their work.  I know, maybe generally you think that what you do is important and you chose your particular job because of that but let's be honest.  I'm still going to complain of being tired when I arrive at 8am, I'm still going to begrudge the 8-5 regularity and lack of spontaneity such a job creates.  So on a daily basis aren't I just going to continue to complain about the mundane things that are the foundation of any office employment?  


So in reality....have I created an impossible goal?  Or is it possible to reach something as vague and immeasurable as this goal now seems to be?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Wood Stencil Sign

I purchased these cute blank signs from Target--here's what the original item looked like. Then I created a stencil using 631-this is removable vinyl.  I chose removable vinyl mostly because I had ordered a large number of a color I didn't intend to use again and had extra, also it works great for things like ceramics where you're worried 651 permanent vinyl won't remove easily.  The key for me was USE TRANSFER TAPE.  In the past a majority of my bleeding has been from the centers of the letters because I was individually placing them by hand and they weren't sealing properly.  Transfer tape not only removes me individually placing letter centers, but it also gives you a better seal.  Just take an old credit card and burnish your transfer tape FOREVER.  

I mean, burnish until you think there can't possibly be any bubbles under that piece of vinyl...and then do it some more!  Then peel up your transfer tape...and voila!


This is the paint I decided to use.  It'…

Odd Pets

Every once in a while I click the "Marketplace" application on my Facebook page (in case someone is giving away a free bed that I could use).  Upon doing so yesterday I saw a pet Wallaby for sale for $1,200.  
I want one.  
However, the question is...can I have one?  Are wallabys...or is it wallabies...or maybe walleye...no that's definitely not it...you know what I mean...but are they legal in this state?
Well let's start with what we know is legal: cats and dogs (unless your landlord says no then you'll be out on the street), most lizards, but those are basic pets.  Here's a little snippet into the unusual (and expensive) pets.  
World's most expensive pets: 
Green Monkey: $16 million Missy: $1.2 million Capuchin Monkey: $10,000 That's right.  I said LEGAL!  There are neither bans nor requirements on monkey ownership in Ohio so go for it!  Buy your monkey!
Need a less feminine monkey?  Try these guys!
De Brazza's Monkey: $7,000-$10,000

Squirrel Monkey: $…

Gen Y Gives Thanks

I apologize a thousand times for the lack of updates and for putting this up so late. Large amounts of technical difficulties have inhibited my blogging, email checking, social networking, etc. However, now that I have a moment's internet access I would like to give you the link to this brilliant idea that Sharalyn Hartwell has cooked up. She writes for the Gen Y Examiner and to combat the stereotype that Gen Y is a bunch of ungrateful brats she asked members of Gen Y to write what they're grateful for and has been posting them in series.

Here's the link. She's posted a few each day so keep reading these articles of course I'm partial to mine which can be read here.