Skip to main content

The Travels of an Independent Woman

In a bout of depression (see former post) I didn't go to my internship today. I laid around all day (I did not shower, or get dressed, or go out of the apartment) I picked up a book I had bought the other day....and I read the whole thing today.

Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach. Part of me really wishes that I would have read this book before my trip to Europe, not for the destinations she went to...but for the insight she provided from the experience of traveling alone. Now granted, I wasn't truly traveling alone I was with 25 other Ohio State University students going to class and goofing off and not learning a bit of french. But in looking back at it I really didn't make the connections one usually would while traveling with other people, so in an essence, I was traveling alone.

In the last pages of the book Steinbach quotes another travel writer, Freya Stark, who wrote memoirs as she traveled through the Middle East (during a time when women NEVER traveled alone) and she said something about reaching one's destination

"This is a great moment, when you see, however distant, the goal of your wandering. The thing which as been living in your imagination suddently becomes a part of the tangible world. It matters not how many ranges, rivers or parching dusty ways may lie between you, it is yours now and for ever."

Steinbach had gone to Europe "to find herself" or to "change things up" and therefore had no destination in mind really for her trip other than she was going to start in Paris, and move on from there. So she feels regretful that she had no tangible destination to drink in that moment as her idol, Freya, had done. But instead of thinking of the destinations she did not have, she found another moment that was hers forever. She stands in the rain outside on the pier in Venice and watches as it veils the city. And that moment is hers forever as it is just hers, she does not have to share it with anyone else.

I remember that feeling. That feeling of exhilaration that this moment belongs to you and you alone. That you are completely self-sufficient that you need nothing in the world in that moment but yourself, you think of nothing but that moment, no one but you, and you relish in the fact that you can stand there for as long as you like...because it is just you.

That feeling laying on the world's softest grass among the roses in Geneva. Realizing that I didn't need anyone but myself and that I would be happy to just lay there on that carpet of softness forever. That feeling of the Champs D'Elysees at midnight, the cool breeze against my skin the headlights whirring past me as I'm in the middle of the round about, watching the eternal flame flicker under the Arc De Triomphe, reading the inscriptions and studying the elaborate decor of the huge stone structure without bother from tourists or guides, or someone worrying that I was out in the city too late. The feeling of sitting alone and taking in a film at the theater and as you walk out silently contemplating the film you have no one to discuss it with.

And just as Alice Steinbach did in her book I wonder where the adventure loving girl I used to be has gone. The girl who wasn't afraid to get dirty and climb over bushes and brambles and through weeds that probably contain poison ivy, or ticks or all sorts of things. I wonder why people stopped inviting me on adventures...what changed in me that suddenly people no longer recognized my love for 3am walks around campus or wandering through a classroom building just because you found an open door. What has changed in me that I will sit in my room for a whole day and never take in the outside? That I cannot remember the last time I went to a park, or just sat somewhere and took everything around me in.

I guess I thought that without the worries of school, or a boyfriend, or even people to pay attention to that I would find that person again. That I would go geocaching or walk down along the river just because I never have. I thought I would go through the galleries downtown or find inspiration enough for photographs or drawing or something.

Very seldom in my life do I look back and have moments where I remember feeling beautiful or charming or desirable. But when I look back I remember creating, being part of art, feeling inspired, feeling curious, and wondering what was around the next corner of everything...wondering what I could find off the beaten path...who I would find or who I would take with me along the journey that was my life. But now as I look back on my stay in "The Hallway" (LOL) I don't remember ever feeling inspired or adventureful. I remember working to look cute for a boy, asking my roomies over and over if I look acceptable. I remember being offended that someone didn't think I was pretty, or that they would pick someone else's looks over mine because I thought I was definitely good enough, if not really pretty. But I don't remember the important emotions. I don't know that I even had them...maybe its the location, maybe its my mood. But I just don't feel it here...I feel less and less like an independent woman and more and more like a dependent one...not dependent like I was before necessary. But dependent on the unimportant...I have lost my independence to be different. In a way I feel almost...personality-less.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Blog: Resume Boost or Liability?

I have recently read two different blogs that have both touched on the same topic. How your blog affects your resume and/or job search. The first was an interview with Sasha Halima, one of my favorite bloggers, at PR Breakfast Club. You can read it here. The second is on Brand Yourself, Your Blog is Your Extended Resume . Brand Yourself argues just what the title says that a blog is an extended resume and that when a potential employer searches for you and finds a blog full of fabulous content, they'll hire you. And while I couldn't agree more that I AGONIZED over the fact that potential employers were most likely Googling me and getting results for some person in Seattle or a Blues Singer in New York the interview with Sasha Halima said something that also struck a chord with me. Your blog can be a "liability." That is the scariest word that any potential employer could ever say because, if you're a liability to them, odds are other potential employers

Shoes

Shoes Shania Twain Tell me about it... Ooh! Men. Have you ever tried to figure them out? Huh, me too, but I ain't got no clue How 'bout you? Men are like shoes Made to confuse Yeah, there's so many of 'em I don't know which ones to choose (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ah, sing it to me If you agree There's the kind made for runnin' The sneakers and the low down heels The kind that will keep you on your toes And every girl knows how that feels (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ouch, ah, sing it with me Chorus: You've got your kickers and your ropers Your everyday loafers, some that you can never find You've got your slippers and your zippers Your grabbers and your grippers Man, don't ya hate that kind? Some you wear in, some you wear out Some you wanna leave behind Sometimes you hate 'em And sometimes you love 'em I guess it all depends on which way you rub 'em But a girl can never have too many of 'em It's amazing what a little polish will do... Men ar

Julie & Julia

Today Megan (my cousin) took me to Julie & Julia (we got in free because she works there). It was a really good movie, which made me happy because I had heard some people hadn't liked it and thought it was a slow movie, but I loved it. If you haven't seen the movie the basic premise is that Julie (Powell, the author of the book the movie is based from) works her way through Julia (Childs, the world renowned cook) cookbook. She gives herself 365 days and there were 540-ish recipes in the cookbook. She then wrote a blog about it, which became really famous, she was offered book deals, etc. But the point of the movie was that she decided to do something, gave herself a deadline, accomplished it, and it changed her life. So, when I came home I was 1. Hungry (I can't watch food and not want to eat...its the reason I can't watch the food network) 2. Inspired...I decided to cook something...experimentally too. I made soup that I used canned chicken noodle soup and s