Skip to main content

Gen-Y has no time for ZZZZs



I've been reading quite a few articles lately about Gen-Y and how many people think that we feel that we are entitled and demand things without expecting to work for them.  This article seems to think that this generation is no longer motivated.
A large majority of Gen-Y came out in droves volunteering and working hard for the political campaigns which eventually led to the election of President Obama.  Of course, now that the President has been elected we are no longer in the election fever and excitement has died down leading the writer of this article to ask if Gen-Y has given up.
I find it offensive that one could even consider this the case.  While I agree that you no longer see people out in the streets pronoucing the miracles of the Obama campaign frankly  this is not the time for that.  Gen-Yers are not ones to stay with something just to stay with it.  My generation is the generation of getting results and making change.  The election is over, there is no longer any reason to be campaigning for Obama, he's elected and now it is his responsibilty to make the changes he promised, and if he doesn't, Gen-Y will be back in the next election to get what we want, that's how it works.
The election is over and frankly, we've got better things to do than to volunteer for a campaign that's already elected.  The economy stinks and Gen-Y is hard at work fighting for jobs with the more experienced and tenured generations before us.  Unemployment for recent college grads is HUGE right now, those students who spent their college years campaigning and volunteering for Obama have now graduated from college and need to pay rent and buy cat food (and human food of course).
And as for the argument that Gen-Y has a short attention span and therefore is easily disillusioned when results are not immediate.  What about disappointment.  While we did expect immediate change in this presidential election it is not because we demanded that change happen from the moment the president was elected but because we were promised that change would occur from that moment.  I don't believe people are disillusioned I believe that they are disappointed and have realized that they need to put their energies somewhere else.  While I hate to be a cynic when it comes to politics and our nation I have to admit that its become fairly clear that politics are not going to get us out of this whole.  If politics are not the answer then we must go back to the American standard: hardwork and dedication and a continued desire to find results, if the first solution doesn't work one must move on and that's what Gen-Y has done.
Disappointed that their political choices have not improved their lot Gen-Y has gone back to improving it themselves.  That means working on their resumes, networking, and working even harder to impress because nothing is handed to you.  And I think that I can speak for my whole generation when I say I'd rather work for it anyway. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Blog: Resume Boost or Liability?

I have recently read two different blogs that have both touched on the same topic. How your blog affects your resume and/or job search. The first was an interview with Sasha Halima, one of my favorite bloggers, at PR Breakfast Club. You can read it here. The second is on Brand Yourself, Your Blog is Your Extended Resume . Brand Yourself argues just what the title says that a blog is an extended resume and that when a potential employer searches for you and finds a blog full of fabulous content, they'll hire you. And while I couldn't agree more that I AGONIZED over the fact that potential employers were most likely Googling me and getting results for some person in Seattle or a Blues Singer in New York the interview with Sasha Halima said something that also struck a chord with me. Your blog can be a "liability." That is the scariest word that any potential employer could ever say because, if you're a liability to them, odds are other potential employers

Shoes

Shoes Shania Twain Tell me about it... Ooh! Men. Have you ever tried to figure them out? Huh, me too, but I ain't got no clue How 'bout you? Men are like shoes Made to confuse Yeah, there's so many of 'em I don't know which ones to choose (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ah, sing it to me If you agree There's the kind made for runnin' The sneakers and the low down heels The kind that will keep you on your toes And every girl knows how that feels (yeah, yeah, yeah) Ouch, ah, sing it with me Chorus: You've got your kickers and your ropers Your everyday loafers, some that you can never find You've got your slippers and your zippers Your grabbers and your grippers Man, don't ya hate that kind? Some you wear in, some you wear out Some you wanna leave behind Sometimes you hate 'em And sometimes you love 'em I guess it all depends on which way you rub 'em But a girl can never have too many of 'em It's amazing what a little polish will do... Men ar

Julie & Julia

Today Megan (my cousin) took me to Julie & Julia (we got in free because she works there). It was a really good movie, which made me happy because I had heard some people hadn't liked it and thought it was a slow movie, but I loved it. If you haven't seen the movie the basic premise is that Julie (Powell, the author of the book the movie is based from) works her way through Julia (Childs, the world renowned cook) cookbook. She gives herself 365 days and there were 540-ish recipes in the cookbook. She then wrote a blog about it, which became really famous, she was offered book deals, etc. But the point of the movie was that she decided to do something, gave herself a deadline, accomplished it, and it changed her life. So, when I came home I was 1. Hungry (I can't watch food and not want to eat...its the reason I can't watch the food network) 2. Inspired...I decided to cook something...experimentally too. I made soup that I used canned chicken noodle soup and s